Why did they do that? because if they had left the districts alone after the 2000 redistricting, several -- like the 7th in Delaware County -- would have been highly competitive for Democratic candidates. Indeed, the old 7th was represented for two terms by a very liberal Democrat, Joe Sestak. The Republicans couldn't have that, so they added the most Democratic areas of the 7th District to Bob Brady's 1st District and shoved the borders of the 7th out into counties where the voter rolls are rural, conservative and Republican.
Voter Suppression Step Two
The Destruction of Democracy
- The disaffection of voters for the entire political process will become complete.
- The electoral college may be abolished and the country may switch to a straight popular vote like other modern democracies (which would be a good thing).
- Voters will revile and reject the Republic Party utterly and it will go the way of the Federalists and Whigs.
- The people will have to resort to violence and perhaps the kind of armed insurrection the right-wing gun huggers have been pining for.
- The Republican Party could take over the government by fiat, much like the Nazis did in the 1930s with the Reichstag Fire Decree and the Enabling Act.
Lawrence Lewis at Daily Kos has the best explanation of this whole process I’ve seen so far. Give it a read.